NEW HEART'S VISION 異象
New Heart Music Ministries is a non-profit organization committed to ushering and inviting God's people into the holy Presence of the Triune God by means of music in Christian Worship. Since there is no true worship unless a person is saved by faith in Jesus Christ, New Heart Music Ministries is committed to bearing witness for Christ through excellence in music education with a Christian distinctive in the community.
Many churches face the challenges of how to make the worship celebrative yet reverent, how to integrate the younger generation of worshipers with the older ones, how to blend newer praise choruses with more traditional hymns. On top of these challenges, Chinese churches in the United States also face the difficulties of integrating different language or dialect groups into the same service, and the lack of Chinese music resources, or Chinese translation of new hymns.
We believe God has called the New Heart Music Ministries to tackle some of these challenges and to meet some of these needs. For more than four years, God has developed the worship team in the Houston Chinese Church and He has blessed them with a ministry that makes impact. As we are starting to make some in-roads toward meeting the needs, we realized that it will take more than one or two people working full-time to develop this ministry. It will take the concerted effort of the whole team. But realistically, there is not a lot of churches that can support a worship team working full-time. We need a center where the musicians can work to provide for their livelihood and at the same time serving God through the development of this ministry.
We thank God for gifting our team members not only with first-rated musical skills, but also teaching skills. Therefore, the school is a center where the worship team members will be employed to teach and to develop the music ministry. We are not only a group who goes to different churches to lead worship and to share what we have learned in worship leading, but we are also a school which excels in quality music education with a Christian distinctive.
NEW HEART'S GOALS 目標
Goals in Worship
We are committed to encourage engagement of the whole person, both intellectually and emotionally in the act of worship.
- We will select and compose music towards accomplishing this goal.
- We will blend traditional hymns and contemporary choruses in a given worship.
- We encourage worshipers to pursue freedom in expression during worship.
- We will develop corporate, celebrative worship without losing its reverence.
- We will develop a smooth flow of worship surrounding one single, unified theme.
- We will balance both instrumental and vocal music in a worship, with the singular purpose of aiding worshipers to seek God's face.
- We will encourage each worshiper to pursue a vibrant personal worship and family worship at home, and to live a holy and obedient life before God.
- We will seek to create a suitable environment for christians and truth seekers, young and old alike, to worship God and dedicate their lives to God.
Goals in Equipping the Church
We hope that our contributions and impact to a church will last beyond the worship concerts. We hope to share our learning experiences with all christians so that they can benefit from them and develop their own style of worship suitable for their own church environment. We believe in sharpening our musical skills so that we can glorify God with these skills. As a result,
- We see the need of developing the next generation of Christian musicians who will serve the Lord with gladness in the local church. We are currently offering classes for worship leaders, piano or keyboard players and drum players with the sole purpose of improving the worship.
- We will publish music and materials for congregation and small groups with more limited resources. We will serve as a resource center for smaller congregations. We are committed to train musicians for other churches in order that they may serve their own church better.
- We will concentrate our effort to translate and compose new songs for use in the worship services so that the need for new and more updated materials may be fulfilled.
- We will work closely with pastors of different churches to achieve a worship that takes into consideration the worship tradition of the church and sensitive to the denominational needs.
- We will record and publish CDs and tapes of worship concerts for the congregation to use in their personal worship.
- We will organize workshops and short-term (one to two weeks) summer training camps to train worship leaders and church musicians. We will also work with individual churches to expand their worship ministry as needs arise.
- We will develop a Manual which details our worship philosophy and practical ways to achieve those objectives. Topics will include:
- How to design a successful worship as a worship leader.
- How to organize the songs into one coherent theme.
- How to master musical skills such as composition, transitions, modulations, and orchestration pertinent to a smooth worship.
- How to work with your pastors.
- How to work with volunteers and musicians.
Goals in Education
We see the need of a Christian Music School that will provide quality and all round music education to the community by employing qualified, Christian music teachers who not only excel in their own area of expertise, but are committed to treat the students with Christ-like love, honesty, and patience.
We strive to:
- maintain a Christian distinctive in the school and hire only Christian teachers who will exemplify and communicate Christian and biblical values with their students and also serve as a worship musicians.
- develop materials with a Christian perspective for the technical development of the students in different instruments or voice. It may take the form of hymn arrangements or new compositions that highlight certain biblical concepts.
- develop the student with a holistic approach in order that they will realize their full potential to God's design. We also hope to communicate our belief that Music will fulfill its ultimate purpose when it is used to glorify God.
- provide the necessary disciplines in music education as we believe that the acquisition of a musical skill is one of the most beneficial disciplines in the formation of one's character especially among children and young people.
- reach out to the next generation through music because we believe music can touch them at a much deeper level.
- provide a service to the community through which the church can serve and meet the community. The school will thus function as a liaison between the church and the community.
NEW HEART'S HISTORY 新心音樂事工發展史
事工另一發展重點，在於創作適合這世代華人教會使用的敬拜資源。我們至今巳發行了十張國語敬拜專輯－『你是我神』、『看哪！你的神』、『竭誠獻上』、『真愛的代價』、『專心愛你』、『敬畏你的榮耀』、『讓全世界知道』、『主我要信靠你』 、『登上耶和華的山』，『牽我的手』, 七張粵語專輯－『燃燒為主』、『洪流砥柱』、『無盡感恩』、『全靠恩典』、『如鷹展翅』、『聖潔榮美』，『美好的仗』，一張聖誕專輯－『聖誕新心』，兩張純樂器詩歌演奏專輯－『心弦１－深長的愛』、『心弦２－與你同走過』，一張精選光碟『今天為主活』、兩套團契／小組敬拜伴唱光碟『同心敬拜』、一張國語敬拜伴唱影碟『來敬拜！』、一套國語影碟『主領敬拜者訓練』、兩本收集了一百首聖詩的歌本『心頌』、新心國語詩歌簡譜版、及敬拜實況影碟。在我們創作或改編的詩歌裏，處處顯示出深厚的古典音樂基礎，再加上融合各式現代音樂的曲風處理，讓我們走出了傳統和現代敬拜音樂的藩籬。為著教會敬拜生活，我們也特別出版了合唱歌譜、樂器伴奏譜和伴唱光碟。
近幾年，我們更是投入完成一系列 七本的敬拜手冊，期盼利用這些集敬拜神學和音樂技巧於一處的著作，來幫助個人或教會發展一個合乎聖經教導的音樂敬拜生活。七本手冊的主題是『主領敬拜者』、『敬拜團隊』、『鍵盤樂器』、『獨奏樂器』、 『吉他與貝斯』、『鼓』、及『編曲技巧』。
We are a group of musicians with classical music background from different countries and God brought us together in Houston. In December of 1992 while we were serving at Houston Chinese Church, we began to have a new awareness of the importance of worship and seek to improve our service. Besides equipping ourselves with more musical training, we devoted, more importantly, more time to personal worship. Our conviction is that unless we become worshiper of God, we will not be able to become good worship leaders. How can one lead the way without knowing it?
We experienced tremendous revivals in our lives in the following years and we also witnessed changes in the lives of our congregation. God's Presence becomes very real and, to us, He is not only a God whom we know intellectually but also a God whom we adore with our whole beings. This encounter propelled us to a relentless pursuit of personal holiness and the removal of all things that was obstructing our path to worship God.
In the summer of 1994, our worship leader Rev. Ephraim Cheng answered God's call into full-time ministry to be a music minister at Houston Chinese Church. During his personal worship, God spoke to him through the words of David to Solomon, "Be strong and of good courage, and do it, do not fear nor be dismayed, for the Lord God, my God, will be with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you, until you have finished all the work for the service of the house of the Lord. . . . and every willing craftsman will be with you for all manner of workmanship, for every kind of services." (I Chron. 28:20) The words "DO IT" urged him to offer his life as a sacrifice to Him for the specific task of worship-leading.
God was faithful to add to the worship team different godly and able members. As the ministry flourished, our team prayed for ways that we can be used by God to expand our ministry and to share our experiences with other churches. In November of 1995, all of our team members committed to a day of fasting and prayer to ask God for future direction. When Pastor Brian Lam of Fort Bend Community Church suggested that we should start a music ministry, we believed that this was an answer to our prayers.
We named this ministry as "New Heart Music Ministries" because we are convinced that no one can come to the Lord in worship unless a "new heart" is given to him by grace through faith.
By the grace of God, "New Heart Music Ministries" was established as a non-profit organization in 1997, and a board of trustees was also formed. In August of the same year, Dr. Yenn Chwen Er became the first full-time staff of the ministry. As the director, he oversees the ministry, and concentrates especially on composition and arrangement of songs. In August of 1999, Czarina Cheng, with a background in music, business administration, and library science, also answered God's call and joined the ministry. Her chief responsibilities include administration, publications, worship-leading, teaching and training. Isaque Tseng joined the ministry in August of 2002 as the Sound Engineer and Bass Guitar and Acoustic Guitar Instructor and Performer. With his diversified background in different types of music, he will be heading the recording department of the ministry. In January 2003, Rev. Ephraim Cheng, who was the founder and previous chairman of the Board, joined New Heart as the Music Pastor. He will oversee the spiritual life of the staff as well as serving as the worship leader and preacher in New Heart events. In September 2005, Jonathan Li joined us as the Music Instructor, his main responsibilities include teaching music lessons, developing and arranging music for youth and English worship, and editing materials for New Heart publications.
NEW HEART STAFF 同工檔案
余遠淳 Yenn Chwen Er, DMA
Violinist, Arranger, Composer. He spent many years in the United Kingdom and the United States perfecting his skills as a violinist, performed in festivals and concerts in Asia, Europe and the United States. He served as the Composer-in-Residence with the Singapore Symphony Orchestra in 2002 with more than a dozen commissions in the past ten years. In 1997, he was called to devote all his musical gifts in the service of God the Creator as one of the founding members and the Director of New Heart Music Ministries, which he has always considered the highest honor bestowed upon him.
鄭浩賢牧師 Rev. Ephraim Cheng, DMA
Pastor, Baritone. Born in Hong Kong, and educated in the United States, he received his Doctor of Musical Arts degree from the University of Houston. He has accumulated over 10 years of teaching experience in various colleges and university in Houston. He is one of the founders of New Heart Music Ministries. In response to God's call, he dedicated himself to full-time Christian ministry leading people to know and response to God through worship. He graduated from Dallas Theological Seminary with a Master of Arts degree in Biblical Studies. He served many years as the music minister of Fort Bend Community Church before he joined New Heart Music Ministries as a full-time music pastor in 2003.
鄭鎧賢 Czarina Cheng, D.Min.
Worship Leader, Drummer, Piano/Keyboard player, and New Heart "Worship Manual" series editor. She was born in Hong Kong. She received her bachelor degree in music at The University of Hong Kong, master degrees in business administration and library science in the United States. She also has a Doctor of Ministry from Dallas Theological Seminary. She has served at the conductor of University of Hong Kong Union Choir, and she has also been actively involved in the worship ministries. She was called to dedicate her life in full-time Christian service in 1999. She is now utilizing the skills given by God in teaching, composing, recording, publishing, editing, and administration in New Heart Music Ministries.
曾以撒 Isaque Tseng, BS
Guitarist and Bass Guitarist. Born in Brazil, he received his bachelor degree in industrial engineering from the University of Sao Paulo. He grew up under the influence of South-American music, and he is a remarkable guitarist. Since young, he has been actively involved in the church, in which his father is the pastor, serving as a worship leader. In August of 2002, he joined the New Heart Music Ministries as a full-time staff, serving as guitar & bass guitar instructor, and sound engineer.
李維孝 Jonathan Li, BA
Violinist, Guitarist, Arranger. Born in New York but raised in Houston, he received his bachelor of the arts degree in music theory from the University of Texas at Austin. He served as a part-time violin instructor at the New Heart School of Music while working at Chase Bank for three years. In September of 2005, he joined New Heart as a full-time staff member. His main responsibilities include teaching music lessons, developing and arranging music for youth and English worship, and editing materials for New Heart publications.
Ministry through Worship 敬拜讚美事工
New Heart has led praise & worship concerts, evangelistic meetings, conferences/retreats, and Sunday services in many Chinese churches throughout North America, South America, Europe, and Asia. Through worship, we have witnessed God’s power to transform lives and renew minds in Christ.
Ministry through Education 音樂教育事工
Through classes offered at the New Heart Christian School of Music in Houston as well as our Singapore and Taiwan offices, we strive to equip Christians with musical skills so that they can serve in their respective churches with sensitivity and humility. We also partner with various seminaries and churches to offer classes, seminars, and music camps.
Ministry through Publications 錄音及出版事工
One of our primary goals is to produce CDs, songbooks, and other resources that will help churches and individuals to worship God. To date, New Heart has produced numerous Mandarin, Cantonese, Christmas, Instrumental, and Evangelistic worship albums. In addition, we have also produced DVDs, hymn books, worship manuals, and worship resources designed specifically for small groups.
OUR INCOME 收入
he New Heart Music Ministries derives a portion of its income from the tuition it receives from the Music School and the distribution of its publication. The balance comes from contributions.
We will establish strict limitations on the way our resources are used.
We pledge not to try to raise more money than we need.
We will ask people not to support New Heart until their obligations to the local church have been met.